Work Requirements and Permits

If you want to work while your stay in the Netherlands, there are a couple of things you must consider.

Most importantly, there are different regulations for EU- and non-EU students concerning the job market.

If you are a national of a country that is part of the European Union (EU), the European Economic Area or Switzerland;

  • You are legally entitled to stay, work and look for work in the Netherlands.
  • You do not require a residence permit; a valid passport (or ID card) from the country where you are a national is proof that you are legally entitled to stay and work in the Netherlands.

All other nationalities are required to have a work permit.

Regardless of whether you are an EU or a non-EU student, if you want to work in the Netherlands you must get dutch public health insurance. For more information on this, please read our general information on health insurance.