It is important to know whether utilities such as Gas, Water and Electricity (GWE) are included in your rent, or if you will have to arrange and pay for these yourself. Be sure to ask your landlord about this before you move into a new place. Here you can find a handy overview of what to expect for different utilities, how to connect them and more.


The Basics

Water has only one provider per region. For the Hague and Leiden, it is Dunea which is responsible for the water.

Water should already be connected to the house/apartment, but make sure to change the contract to your name and payment details otherwise Dunea will cut the water after some time. For water as well as certain gas and electricity contracts you pay for an estimated use (depending on the number of people living in the house/apartment).

At the end of the year, you can therefore receive money back or have to pay more depending on the usage.

How To Set Up a Contract

There are several companies that can help you arrange everything for you. The most used one is PartnerPete.com.

They speak English and help you arrange water, gas and electricity contracts within three days and free of charge.


The Basics

It is illegal to not have a water, gas, electricity contract in the Netherlands. You might therefore receive a letter from StedIn when moving into the new home. However, fixing it all is quite easy. Some housing contacts might have certain providers included, so check your rental contract beforehand. If you are renting from an agency, they often offer a set of providers for you.

Another important note is that you need the Dutch ID-number (burgerservicenummer) and a Dutch bank account to set up a gas/electricity/water contract. It is enough if only one in the house/apartment has it. This person will then be responsible for the payments and contract.

How To Set Up a Contract

You can contact all the different providers or use comparison sites to find the cheaper providers. Gas and electricity usually come together (again, check the contract because sometimes rental agencies offer pre-made sets), but it is possible to choose two different providers.

Some providers for gas and electricity are Greenchoice, Noun, Engie, Eneco, E.ON, and BudgetEnergie.


The Basics

The most important thing to know about the Internet is that it takes three weeks to connect the WIFI to the house. There are many providers, and most of them have deals, but they usually include TV and a phone line. However, it is also possible to get only WIFI.

How To Set Up a Contract

Ziggo is the largest provider and is supposed to have customer service in English (though this is not guaranteed). Again, it is useful to use a comparison site. Otherwise, PartnerPete is your English-speaking friend.

For TV there is not much to say. Ziggo is again the main provider. You can choose from several packages, and Ziggo has German and British channels included.

Should you need a landline phone it will take up to a week to set it up. It is expensive and it is KPN that owns the lines.

Keep in mind

  • Check existing connections to the house/room
  • Mention to your provider that as a student you have certain internet needs for things like weblectures/Netflix and require a strong connection.


Dutch SIM cards

While most EU students can continue to use their old SIM cards with roaming, a dutch SIM card can still be essential.

Especially for communication with the municipality and other dutch institutions, you are often required to provide a dutch phone number

The most popular SIM providers are:

To compare what these different providers offer at one glance, use this handy comparison website.